Zucchini Fritters with Feta & Dill
Our Program Assistant, Bonnie, is obsessed with these fritters. Try them for yourself!
from Once Upon A Chef
- 1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium), trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Shred the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater or in a food processor fitted with the shredding disk. Transfer the zucchini to a fine mesh strainer and set over a bowl. Toss the zucchini with the salt and let it sit for 10 minutes. Wring all of the excess liquid out of the zucchini with your hands, then set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the dried zucchini, scallions, dill, feta, garlic and black pepper. Sprinkle the corn starch and baking powder over mixture and stir until uniformly incorporated.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Drop 2-tablespoon sized portions into the pan, then use the back of a spoon to gently press the batter into 2-inch-wide fritters. Pan-fry until golden brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the fritters to a paper towel-lined plate. Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels. Return the skillet to medium heat, add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve warm or room temperature with lemon wedges.