Roasted Beet Salad with Fried Goat Cheese Croutons
Adapted from Farmgirl Gourmet.
- 1 large beet (3 med or 8 baby), scrubbed & tops removed
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces goat cheese – firm log
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 9 cups mixed baby greens washed, dried torn into pieces
- 1 cup arugula, washed, dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place beets in aluminum foil and drizzle with the 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, wrap and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until tender, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and remove skins. Slice into thin rounds. Set aside.
- Slice the goat cheese into 8 equal rounds.
- Place the flour, egg and panko on separate plates.
- Toss each slice of goat cheese in flour, then egg, and finally in panko. Set aside.
- Heat the 1 cup vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the cheese until golden about 1 minute, flip over and repeat. Drain on paper towels. Cheese should not be runny.
- Combine lettuces in a large bowl. Add croutons, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Toss to coat.
- Add the sliced beets and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!