Rainbow-Chard Potato Frittata
Image courtesy of Fine Cooking.
During my Christmas visit to my family in Chicago, one of my daughters-in-law prepared this frittata by Fine Cooking, using a recipe from Fine Cooking magazine, and it was a big hit with all of us. The recipe is simple and versatile, and most of the ingredients are available at the market much of the time.
- 6 oz. rainbow chard
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and grated (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 large eggs
- 6 oz. grated aged Gouda (about 2 cups)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F. Separate the chard stems from the leaves and slice each 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch oven-safe nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rosemary and cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 10 seconds. Add the chard stems, potatoes, onion, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook, stirring only occasionally, until browned in spots, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes, and spread evenly in the skillet.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Mix in the chard leaves and cheese, and evenly pour over the potatoes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the frittata is set, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
You can play with the basic recipe, substituting other ingredient combos for the chard, rosemary, and cheese. Try one of these or create your own:
- Spinach, chorizo, and goat cheese.
- Green beans, basil (add it with the eggs), and mozzarella.
- Artichoke hearts, thyme, and pecorino
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!