If you drink this green smoothie first thing in the morning, you’ve just started your day with 2 fruit servings and 1 vegetable serving. Plus, cherries are high in fiber as well as a good source of Vitamins A & C, and spinach is a known nutritional powerhouse, complete with fiber, lycopene, and tons of vitamins. Any and all variations on this recipe are welcome. Try it with different types of fruit available in Northern New Mexico, like apples or plums.
Recipe adapted from food52.com & edibleperspective.com
- 2 medium peaches
- 1 handful fresh, local spinach (or any other leafy green in season/readily available: kale, swiss chard, beet greens, etc)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cherries (pitted)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or your preferred milk)
- Put the spinach and milk in the bottom of blender.
- Add in the cherries and peaches.
- Blend and enjoy!
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!