Napa Cabbage and Cucumber Slaw
Head on over to the Farmers’ Market to pick up the fresh cabbage, cucumber and onion. Slaw is always so refreshing and delicious!
Check out this week’s Santa Fe Farmers’ Market CSA Bag:
- Mixed Potatoes
- Napa Cabbage
- English Cucumber
- Spicy Mix
- Green Curly Kale
- Dill Leaf
- 6 cups thinly shaved or sliced cucumbers and/or Napa cabbage
- ¼ red or white onion, very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine vegetables and onion in a medium bowl; season generously with salt. Let sit until they start to release their water, 8–10 minutes, then begin to massage, gently at first so they don’t break, then harder as they begin to expel their liquid, until softened to about the texture of coleslaw.
- Pour off all excess liquid and add vinegar and oil; toss to coat.
- Taste and season with more salt if needed.
Slaw can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!