Crowd-Pleasing Corn On or Off the Cob
Guest writer: Mary Eloisa,LPCC, NC from Eating With Reverence
So much of the corn and corn products that we eat today come from genetically modified seeds and plants. This is one reason I rejoice when corn comes to the Farmers’ Market. I love fresh, organic corn on the cob… and it has arrived! Corn is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium and is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Thiamin and Vitamin B6…. and Yummy!
Read More about the amazing nutritional benefits of corn by clicking here.
There are so many wonderful ways to enjoy fresh, fresh organic corn on or off the cob. I love a fresh ear of corn slathered with seasoned red chili powder and lime juice. On a cool rainy night, a corn chowder with green chili really hits the spot. But one of my favorite summer corn dishes is this black bean and corn salsa. It’s a real crowd-pleaser and great to bring to a pot-luck or to serve company.
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ears fresh cooked corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 Hass avocados, chopped
Combine all ingredients except for avocados in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. Right before serving, add avocados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados. Garnish with a more chopped cilantro if desired. Serve at room temperature.
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!