Beet Salad with Pistachios and Feta
This Market Fresh Cooking salad is as beautiful as it is delicious! Try it out, you won’t be disappointed.
Most of the ingredients can be found this Saturday at the market.
- 1 1/2 lbs red and/or golden beets, cooked, peeled and diced (see notes)
- 1/3 cup red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced, use a garlic press
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or Apple Cider or Champagne Vinegar)
- 1 orange (2 tablespoons zest and 4 tablespoons juice)
- 1/2– 1 cup craisins ( or sub dried currants)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped, tender stems OK ( or sub some mint, Italian parsley, basil)
- 1/2 –1 cup pistachios
- 1 cup feta, cut into cubes
- Optional Garnish: For a festive twist you could top with pomegranate seed
- Boil or steam beets until fork tender. Trim and rub under cool running water to remove skin. Dice into small, 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Add diced onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, orange zest and orange juice, craisins, salt and pepper and mix to combine well. Add pistachios and feta. Gently toss.
- Taste, add more pistachios, craisins or feta to taste. Adjust salt and pepper. Sometimes I’ll add another squeeze of orange juice.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro.
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!