Raw Kale Salad With Miso/Lemon Dressing
- 1 bunch kale (approx 1/2 lb)
- 1 medium beet (well scrubbed or peeled)
- 1 medium carrot (washed or peeled)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds OR chopped walnuts, pecans slivered almonds etc.
- 1 1/2 oz feta or other crumbly cheese (if desired, omit for vegan version)
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons miso paste (we generally use mild white miso but any kind you prefer is fine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chop kale into very thin strips (approx 1/2 cm or thinner). Set aside in medium serving bowl.
- Grate beet and carrot. Add to bowl with kale
- Juice lemon and remove seeds.
- Add miso to lemon juice in small jar and stir with fork until well mixed.
- Add olive oil to miso/lemon mixture and shake well.
- Add miso dressing to bowl with kale and toss everything together until well coated.
- Add seeds/nuts and cheese if desired and toss lightly.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for at least one hour.
Feel free to augment with other veggies or fruits as desired; shredded red cabbage, shaved fennel, julienned watermelon radish or apple and raisins are just some of the things that go very nicely with this salad as well.
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!