Il Piatto’s Parsnip & Spring Onion Vegan Vichyssoise
Matt Yohalem of Il Piatto Farmhouse & Kitchen has been a long-time supporter of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market. A leader and proud participant of Farm to Table, Il Piatto sources its ingredients directly from local farms, dairies and ranches. In fact, this year marks their 20th anniversary! Matt’s delectable food is always inspired by what is in season in New Mexico. Il Piatto is #TrulyLocal!!
Earlier this month Matt kindly hosted two luncheons for the Institute, for which we are so grateful! Here, Matt shares one of the recipes he served up to Institute supporters. Please enjoy!
- 6 large parsnips, peeled
- 6 large green onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 large tallow onion
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 cups sherry wine
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 quarts water
- salt & pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Arborio rice
- Peal and chop parsnips and carrots.
- Chop onion, green onion, garlic and celery.
- In a large pot sauté parsnips, carrots, celery, both onions for 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, sauté 4-5 more minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add sherry wine, white wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 2 quarts water, simmer until veggies are soft.
- Add ¼ cup Arborio rice and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and put into blender until smooth consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill in fridge. Garnish with extra virgin olive oil and green onion.
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!