Fresh Beet Salad
- 1 pound beets, peeled and grated
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Pinch of sugar
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Small pinch of cayenne – if you like more spicy
- Put the salad ingredients in a bowl and set aside while preparing the dressing.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a jar, shake well.
- Mix dressing into beets & carrots, let sit for at least an hour, taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!