Dragon’s Tongue Beans and Recipe
Our Facebook friend, Clementine from Eat Live & Thrive, saw our recent post about green beans. She shared her photo of the amazing Dragon’s Tongue beans from Vigil’s Chimayo Produce as well as her quick, easy, and tasty raw vegan recipe!
Dragon’s Tongue (Dragon Langerie) are old, dual purpose Dutch heirloom beans with beautiful yellow pods that are streaked with purple. The pods turn all yellow after cooking, but they’re delicious as shell beans too.
Dragon’s Tongue are rich in protein and fiber.They are also a source of potassium, selenium, iron, folate, manganese, calcium, and vitamins A, C, and K.
- Steam beans until desired softness and cool
- Add these ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth:
- 2 zucchini
- 2 tablespoon vegan kimchi (from Mi Young’s Farm)
- Large bunch fresh dill
- 1/2 can organic California ripe green olives and 1/2 of the can of the sea salt water
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Put the steamed beans in bowl, cover with sauce and top with sea salt as desired. Enjoy!
Thanks, Clementine, for this fantastic recipe!
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!