Beans and Greens
- 1 cup diced onion (2 small)
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound collard greens or kale (about 15 stems)
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 4 cups cooked beans
- 1/2 tsp salt black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano or thyme
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (or other oil)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and black pepper, then add onions with a pinch of salt.
- Cook onions for 5 minutes, then stir. Cook 4-5 more minutes and add garlic. Cook 2-4 more minutes, stirring once.
- Strip collard leaves from stems. Roll and slice, then cut crosswise into smaller pieces. Add the chopped greens with a pinch of salt. Stir in with onions and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add apple juice and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, crushed red pepper, and herbs. Stir to combine and simmer for about 5 minutes. Enjoy!
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!