Fresh Veggie Subji
- 4 cups fresh veggies (zucchini, squash, carrots, green beans, fava beans, and corn were used on this day)
- 2 tablespoon ghee or rice bran oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch hing
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 5 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash, trim, and cut the vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a deep frying pan on medium heat and add the oil (or ghee).
- Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and let them heat until they pop.
- Add the coconut, garam masala, turmeric, hing, ginger, and curry leaves. Stir briefly.
- Add the vegetables and salt. Stir to coat them thoroughly with the spices and oil (or ghee).
- Turn down the heat to low and cover for 5 minutes.
- Stir and promptly replace lid
- Continue cooking on low for another 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
This locally inspired recipe is brought to you by Pam Walker. Pam is an avid home cook, writer, and local farm and food activist who is also a board member of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute. Thank you, Pam, for helping inspire us to use locally sourced ingredients!