- This event has passed.
DEMING SOIL HEALTH WORKSHOP
October 21, 2021 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Plan and execute at least one appropriate prioritized change in your operation in line with the healthy soil principles within one year.
- Discuss the healthy soil principles with at least one other producer, friend, family member, or neighbor this year.
- Define healthy soils in terms of physical, chemical and biological properties that affect water retention, agricultural productivity, etc. by using the workbook, notes, and other resources.
- Distinguish between static/inherent and dynamic soil characteristics, and consider economic/ecological/social lags in changes when planning for soil health.
- Discuss management interventions as they relate to soil health principles.
- Discuss the results from an in-field test with a Technical Service Provider in the context of current management and future management
- Find resources to record, track, and share data (voluntarily)
- Find and use the online resources (eg. listserve, linked informational pages, apps)
- Distinguish between prescriptive/proactive vs. responsive management, specifically with regard to planning and current ecological, social, and economic context (eg. previous management, climate, including water supply)
There is no cost to this workshop, but please bring your own lunch and water. Other details will be provided after registration.
Facilitated by Eva Stricker, PhD, Quivira Coalition. Eva is an ecologist with interests in how plant-microbe interactions in soil affect biogeochemical cycling such as nitrogen and carbon. She has a background in curriculum development for learners of all ages and backgrounds.