- This event has passed.
TUCUMCARI SOIL HEALTH WORKSHOP
June 30 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
This workshop is for farmers and ranchers who want to learn about soil health principles and the chemical, biological and physical characteristics of soil. The day will be spent outside focused on discussions and field demonstrations to learn about compaction, infiltration, surface cover, aggregate stability, and other soil health indicators. There will be time to meet and network with other producers, talk with agricultural professionals, learn about programs and funding opportunities, talk about management options, and ask questions about your own operation. We’ll meet at JX Ranch and do field demonstrations on rangeland; afternoon sessions may be indoors, weather dependent. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about soil health in arid working lands!
There is no cost to this workshop. Light breakfast, lunch, water and snacks will be provided. More workshop logistics information will be provided a week prior to the workshop.
The Tucumcari Soil Health Workshop will be facilitated by Amy Larsen, Steve Kadas from NMACD, and Katherine Ottmers. Field demonstrations and brief afternoon presentations will be given by staff at NRCS, SW Quay SWCD and more!
After completing this workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Understand the healthy soils principals and plan or implement one or more strategies on your farm/ranch.
- Better understand soil chemical, physical and biological characteristics, and consider these when planning for soil health.
- Learn about some field testing options and what they can tell you about the health of soils.
- Meet and network with other agricultural professionals and peer farmers who can offer support in soil health practices.
- Learn about programs and funding opportunities that can assist with healthy soil management practices.
Check out this workbook for a deeper dive into workshop content. Contact Amy Larsen, email@example.com, with any questions.